Basic Teaching Skills for New Faculty and Faculty New to Teaching
Required Workshop for new faculty. Faculty new to teaching are encouraged to attend. All members of the VCU community are invited.
By the end of this workshop, you should be able to:
- Identify characteristics of adults as learners and how these affect teaching in medical education.
- Identify the educator’s role in enabling learners to move from dependence as a learner to self‑directedness.
- Describe at least three innovative strategies for teaching that work in both clinical and classroom settings.
- Identify library resources and search strategies to enhance your effectiveness as a teacher.
9:00 – 10:30 am Jean Bailey, EdD
- Adults as learners
- Teaching in medical education
- RIME model and the educator’s role
10:30 – 10:40 am Break
10:40 – 12:00 pm Kenneth Warren Foster, EdD
- Learning innovations for classroom and clinical learning
This workshop is sponsored by the VCU SOM Office of Faculty Affairs. For directions to workshop location, visit the MCV Campus map available at: http://www.maps.vcu.edu/pdfs/mcv_map.pdf. For additional faculty development resources, visit the iTeach faculty development website at http://go.vcu.edu/iteach.
- Friday, December 7, 2018
- 9:00am - 12:00pm
- MMRB 1009/11
- MCV Campus
Education Program Coordinator